Please enter a valid and unique email address

News

Ray Manzarek, Founding Member of The Doors, Passes Away at 74

I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend. I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him.

Robby Krieger

Ray Manzarek, keyboardist and founding member of The Doors, passed away today at 12:31PM PT at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer. He was 74. At the time of his passing, he was surrounded by his wife Dorothy Manzarek, and his brothers Rick and James Manczarek.

Manzarek is best known for his work with The Doors who formed in 1965 when Manzarek had a chance encounter on Venice Beach with poet Jim Morrison. The Doors went on to become one of the most controversial rock acts of the 1960s, selling more than 100-million albums worldwide, and receiving 19 Gold, 14 Platinum and five multi-Platinum albums in the U.S. alone. "L.A.Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire" were just some of the band's iconic and ground-breaking songs. After Morrison's death in 1971, Manzarek went on to become a best-selling author, and a Grammy-nominated recording artist in his own right. In 2002, he revitalized his touring career with Doors' guitarist and long-time collaborator, Robby Krieger.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," said Krieger. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Manzarek is survived by his wife Dorothy, brothers Rick and James Manczarek, son Pablo Manzarek, Pablo's wife Sharmin and their three children Noah, Apollo and Camille. Funeral arrangements are pending. The family asks that their privacy be respected at this difficult time. In lieu of flowers, please make a memoriam donation in Ray Manzarek's name at www.standup2cancer.org

In this Article

Robby Krieger

More News Articles

Recent Articles

Sorry, you must be logged-in to comment. Please and post your comment!

Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago

Each musical instrument has its inception somewhere, as well as a conclusion of pace whereas it was most essential. Most of these keyboards view fairly analogous further can be identified readily, yet there are alien classs. We indeed can't reject the prominence of this electronic instrument.
ebook master

8 months 1 week ago

Back stage 1968 Frankfurt WGer. you patted me on the shoulder as I could not get words to discribe how that concert effected me. You said 'Its all right man'. and it is.I suspect you thought I was stoned,almost everybody was ,but I was straight ,just high on the music. I carried a battery powered record player with the 'Doors' album and 'Surilistic Pillow' from base to base. I got to meet a few very interesting people playing those 2 records when there was nothing else. Hopped to see Ray again and have him see my metal Sculpturs. Have to be 'the other side.' PEACE

10 months 1 day ago

Dear John and Robbie,
dear Jim and Ray,
your poetry and music are for me a
spiritual mine of gold.
I grew with your art, myths and rhythms.
Goodbye Ray, and thanks:
I hope we'll meet again, in another time, in another dream.

10 months 1 week ago

Ray and Jim together again. Full Circle, probably on a beach somewhere. Thanks for the music Ray and Jim and Robbie and John.

10 months 2 weeks ago

I love the Doors. I had a greatest hits borrowed cassette in the early 80's when I was 12 or so and the rare album Doors 13 also on cassette. When CD's came out, I started buying every Doors album. Some I bought on LP because the CD's took so long to come out! Like Absolutley Live. I had and still have every album and every song as well as a few bootleg records (some with the worst sound ever). But it didn't matter. The Doors are my all time favorite band and I will miss Ray dearly.

Never got a chance to see them until a few years ago. Ray and Robbie toured in the Doors of the 21st Century band. Got a chance to see them in Surrey, BC (just outside of Vancouver) in a smaller theater. They entered the theater quietly and waved to the audience. Ray was wearing a sweater and walked calmly up to the keyboard facing to the right. I did not know what to expect but the second he started playing the keyboard everything was familiar and I was warped into the Doors live experience. I had a great smile on my face as I do now remembering that experience. Deepest thanks to Ray, Ray's family, and the Doors for great memories, experiences, and this continuous voyage.

10 months 2 weeks ago

good bye Ray ! Fly away from this sad world ,into the light!
you enter the legend,
and leave your mark on human mind forever! good job!

10 months 2 weeks ago

I am very sad and shocked to hear about Ray Manzarek passing away.Ray was one of the greatest keyboard players that ever lived,he was amazing the way he could play the bass and keyboard at the same time,there will never be another keyboard player like Ray Manzarek.He was an amazing musician and he was amazing to listen to,the way he could speak about life so philosophically and when Ray told stories about The Doors it was incredible.I feel so sad for Ray's wife and son and grand children and Ray's brothers and also Robbie and John and everybody that knew Ray and all The Doors fans all over the world.We will all miss Ray very much.

10 months 3 weeks ago

You did a good job, Ray, I'm glad you were here.

10 months 3 weeks ago

Dear Ray. Your wife, son, brothers, and Robby & John … And fans worldwide… will miss you dearly.

Now, born again at the far shore, on the celestial beach, you will meet again your good friend Jim. Just as on Venice Beach, when legend was born.
LOVE and RESPECT.

10 months 3 weeks ago

Dear Ray. You’re wife, son, brothers, and Robby & John … And fans worldwide… will miss you dearly.

LOVE and RESPECT.

10 months 4 weeks ago

MUSIC IS OVER!!
Rest In Peace Ray, thanks for everything.
Hvala ti za sve

10 months 4 weeks ago

I'll always be grateful for the day I met Ray at a book-signing he did some years ago to promote his book "Poet In Exile". He was very kind, friendly, down-to-earth. He kept the crowd thoroughly enraptured with his stories about Jim and The Doors, and he played for us a barn-burning solo version of "Light My Fire" on a special keyboard that had been prepared for him. He even played us a brief sample of a *new* Doors song that he and Robbie had been working on at the time called "Cops Talk", which I guess will now never see the light of day. I do remember the chorus Ray sang for us: "Cops talk....what do they say?" Sounded great to me! Ray was a magnificent musician and a pioneering keyboardist. My heart goes out to his wife, Robbie, John, family, friends and Doors fans all over the world. But we can take comfort that Ray is back with his old friend Jim again. Farewell Ray! God bless you and thank you for all the wonderful music. Say hi to Jim for us too.

10 months 4 weeks ago

R.I.P Ray...it's very sad...

11 months 37 min ago

thanx you Dave for not blocking me this time. I've been so bad.....

11 months 1 hour ago

I love that Ray had 100% confidence in Morrisons' visions when they met on Venice Beach & decided to form The Doors, the best rock & roll band from America... Jim had it all planned out, and Ray was there to back him up.I'm sorry for your loss Dorothy,Pablo & grandchildren. He was so unique.Never another Doors or Ray.

11 months 8 hours ago

It's sad to hear the news of a great musician passing you will be missed and always remembered

11 months 10 hours ago

Thank you for the great music Ray, and it was sad to hear you leave. But your memory and your music will live on forever, and I will keep on spreading your music to my friends and family so they also can listen to the greatest music of all time. My regards go out to Rays family and close friends.

See you on the other side Ray, love from Norway.

11 months 12 hours ago

Well the clock says it's time to close, now,
I guess I'd better go now, I know I have to go, now,
I really want to stay here all night,
All night,
All night.

Send Jim my best. Your music lives forever man.
Peace

11 months 12 hours ago

oh man, i am in tears. Let us be strong together, for the band, for the fans, for the legacy, for Ray and his Family and friends. Thank you for the Music man, and for sharing your thougts and Passion .Cheers Ray!

11 months 13 hours ago

R.I.P Ray. I was born to late (2/12/1965) but I do remember my older brothers listening to The Doors on the radio. I could not have been more than 3 at time but I do remember hearing Light My Fire.Thank you for all the great music..it is timeless.. I wore all out all of my Doors albums. Condolences to your family...I am sure you will be very missed by all..even ones who never had a chance to see you in play live or meet you.

"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection
Send my credentials to the house of detention
I got some friends inside"

11 months 14 hours ago

Rajmundzie Danielu dziękuję Ci za wszystko co dokonałeś. Za wszystkie wspaniałe dźwięki, które poznałem dzięki Tobie. Musisz wiedzieć, że wiele czerwonych świateł przejechałem całkowicie oddany słuchaniu Twych genialnych solówek! Dziękuję Bogu, że nic mi się nie stało. Wiem, że On dobrze się Tobą zaopiekuje. Dajcie tam w niebie czadu!!!

11 months 15 hours ago

RIP Ray. Your music has been and will be with me until I'm gone.....

11 months 15 hours ago

Rest in peace, Ray. Thanks for all the great music.

11 months 16 hours ago

Just Sad. I miss you Ray. Your music will live through eternity along with the words of Jim.

11 months 16 hours ago

Spoczywaj w Pokoju Ray :) Regards from Poland

11 months 16 hours ago

It was a shock when I read that Ray broke on through to the other side.

One of the greatest keyboardist that the world has ever seen. And I'm not saying just because I like The Doors, Ray was really extraordinary.

11 months 17 hours ago

When the music is over...... but it won't be. Yours will last as long as humanity does.
Thank you always!! It gets us to places in our minds and our hearts that no other stimuli does.
Thank you for your visits to México; we were there in all of them and enjoyed every note. Our nices and nephews, third generation since you began to play, were there too.
To the family, blessings and strength.
Gracie and James from Mexico.

11 months 18 hours ago

El primer grupo de rock que escuche fueron The Doors (antes de los Stones o los Beatles) y ellos fueron la entrada para conocer de cine, teatro, literatura y obvio mas musica....en mi mente y corazon siempre se escuchara una cancion de The Doors (hasta el fin). RIP Ray Manzarek

11 months 19 hours ago

Thanks Ray and to all The Doors for opening not just my eyes but my mind to a world I would have not otherwise known. Thankyou thankyou thankyou and R.I.P

"I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft"

11 months 19 hours ago

Rest in peace, I miss you! What lovely memories you gave me, thank you!

11 months 19 hours ago

R.I.P. Ray.. Your music has had a great impact in my life! Thanks for everything! I love you..

11 months 19 hours ago

rip ray and thank you for your music..the genius!! :( and now i wanna ray manzarek shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirt plllease, say yes and make a collection! pllllease

11 months 20 hours ago

Addio Raymond Daniel Manzarek!

11 months 21 hours ago

RIP Ray happy to have got to see u and robby in 06 at moonlight fest thought are with the family and the doors family

11 months 21 hours ago

Very very sad new. I enjoyed his music & talent in a very good concert in Madrid (Spain) few years ago. Oh, very sad indeeed. Rest in peace.

11 months 21 hours ago

So sad news this morning... Really shocking...We have lost another big legend...Watching when you're strange for the second time, reading old interviews actually ...Good Bye Mr. Smart <3

11 months 22 hours ago

When I heard it yesterday I was just broken. Rest in peace, love & respect.

11 months 1 day ago

I couldnt beleive this news when i first heard of it....i am deeply saddened by the news...thanks on behalf of one of your biggest fans Ray for all the great keyboard solos, performances and well, just everything. Rest in Peace and "Break on through to the Other Side"....Im sure Jim was there to welcome you with open arms.

11 months 1 day ago

Thanks Ray...You will be missed...

11 months 1 day ago

Learning of Ray's passing brought tears to my eyes. I was just entering this world when Morrison passed...but as a kid, I knew who all the band members were & I'd sit at the piano to try to emulate Ray (no keyboard in the house & definitely not a Vox Continental!)
I have my recently departed older brother to thank for my interest in & love of the Doors. I've long held that my brother knew more of the Doors' history than even they did! Just 3 years ago, my brother took me to a Doors concert-no words describe how meaningful it was to be in the front row with my bro, witnessing Ray & Robby fire up the stage! (My bro also saw the Doors nearly 40 decades earlier, shortly after Morrison passed!)
I am sure my bro, with his guitar in hand, was among the first to greet Ray "on the other side"; I'm a bit envious of the jam session that surely ensued.
With a special nod to my big bro - I offer a heartfelt thank you & farewell to Ray for the integral role he (& The Doors) unknowingly played in my bro's life & as a result, mine. Peace to his family, band mates, friends & fans.

11 months 1 day ago

Rip... Our beloved ray manzarek I thank you for everything your music the way you rock the keyboard thank you for loving our beloved lizard king for ever RAY.

11 months 1 day ago

Ray Manzarek was a one of a kind musician, with a style and sound all his own. The man had exceptional skill and dexterity to be able to play as flawlessly as he did. I will always have the image of him playing bass left handed and the regular keys right handed while turning his head back and forth. He was a man dedicated to the music. Some of the best moments of my life happened while I was on one of my Doors 'kicks.' He's back with the Lizard King. RIP to one of music's greatest talents, and even greater man.

11 months 1 day ago

Como dice Kike Delgado gracias por venir a Puebla, esos dos conciertos fueron mágicos.

11 months 1 day ago

This is a very sad day for Doors' fans. I learned of Ray Manzarek's passing this afternoon on the radio. The station immediately played "When the Music's Over." When I arrived home my sons, one a recent College graduate and one in High School, detected that I was upset and I told both of them and my husband about Ray Manzarek. We're a family of Doors fans. Ray's genius and business skills helped create the greatest rock group of all time with the talent and charisma that could only be The Doors . . . and I am a fan forever. Heartfelt condolences to Dorothy Manzarek (from photos in all the books I have read, you were a beautiful couple) and the entire family, as well as Robby Krieger and John Densmore. Rest in Peace, Ray, and thank you for bringing The Doors into our lives.

11 months 1 day ago

Gracias Ray por venir a Puebla-México uno de mis preferidos del órgano, siempre en la mente. Buen viaje que halla peyotes donde quiera que vayas, a todos los colegas y amigos de Ray hoy es un día de gloria, Love me two times. Forever THE DOORS.

We will miss you.

11 months 1 day ago

Gracias Ray, saludame a Jim espero verlos luego tocando en el Cielo, no muy pronto claro esta.

11 months 1 day ago

Ray Thank you for your music and for visited Argentina, I was there and I enjoyed so much. It was a pleasure to see you on the stage and heard your music. The music of the doors is alive!

11 months 1 day ago

R.I.P. Ray.... gone be not forgotten. Your talents and contribution to music will always be remembered. Love you forever. <3

R.I.P.
No.1 Mr. Keyboardist of mine.
I am sad.
I pray for the souls of the departed!!!

11 months 1 day ago

Manzarek thanks for being with me in a lot of special moments about my life with your the doors music !

11 months 1 day ago

So sorry to hear this. Ray's keyboard was one of a handful of sounds that defined the era. Got to meet him during his booksigning in '98 and saw him and Robby play in '06 and '09. You will always be fondly remembered with love.

11 months 1 day ago

Dios te bendiga, Ray. Te vamos a extrañar mucho.

11 months 1 day ago

Se ha ido un grande de la música, se fue con su amigo Jim a componer nuevas melodías, a descubrir nuevos ritmos y crear nuevas obras maestras, así, cuando nos reunamos con ellos, podremos deleitarnos con las maravillas que tendrán guardadas para nosotros.

Gracias Ray por tu talento, el mundo es mejor por tu música, nos llenaste de emoción. Te vamos a extrañar.

11 months 1 day ago

The 'Crystal Ship' is waiting for you to board to take you 'through to the other side.' A Bon Voyage my friend.. See you and Jim on the other side. Goodnight Ray, not Goodbye.. I say this with a smile and a tear in my eyes.

11 months 1 day ago

My sincere condolences to Ray's family, Robbie and John.
Take comfort in knowing that Ray along with the other Doors changed the landscape of rock forever and broadened its horizons for everyone else to follow.
You were a true pioneer Ray and I hope that you'll 'dance on fire' in the heavens with Jim tonight.

11 months 1 day ago

The Doors is literally the soundtrack of my life. I was lucky enough to catch Robby and Ray at the House of Blues in Anaheim last year. I felt like I came full circle to see them with the same message they had in the 60's.
I never would of thought I would break down in tears to hear the news about someone I never met, but felt so connected with.
I always wondered why people were so devastated when Lennon died or even Kurt, but now I know and it really is sad. To touch a soul from such a far distance; something that not even my closest friends can do.
This one is for you, Ray.

11 months 1 day ago

Who needed a bassist when you had Ray's Fender Piano Bass, most notable on "When The Music's Over".
He was a most articulate man as well, one whose comments were always salient, peppered with humor, and, full of intelligence.
I will always love his playing, particularly on the "Strange Days" project.
When you hear the opening bars of "...Music's Over", you immediately are grabbed by the back of the neck and made to pay heed.
My condolences to Robbie & John, his family, his friends in the music world.
The one thing I most admire was the fact that they DID sing "higher" on Ed Sullivan.
I was was watching that night, and, couldn't have been more proud that they stood up to the prudes that run network TV.
May he rest in peace.

11 months 1 day ago

God Bless and condolences to the Manzarek family and friends. Another Rock Legend at rest in heaven. A huge inspiration.

RIP Ray!

So when the music's over
When the music's over, yeah
When the music's over,